Tuesday, August 20, 2019

A storm is a comin'

I am sitting on my sister's  deck in a town nobody has heard of in Texas. I am on vacation/ pet sitting.
The temperature is about  110 degrees. I am not even kidding. 
It was 115 a few hours ago.
     As I sit here on the deck, smokin a cigarette,  drinking  hot tea... what am I nuts? Probably.  I look out over the yard.. which is big enough to build a whole neighborhood on. Lol.
    The breeze is picking up in speed, the once clear sky is getting  cloudy. Dark clouds. The animals are getting restless, the chickens are a squawking,  the dogs are barking. The hummingbirds are coming to the feeder for one last drink before the storm hits.
   The breeze is picking up even more.. the trees are starting to wave. The empty rocking chair  starts rocking. Oh hell no! That creeps me out!! I find an empty coors light beer box, I stick it under the rocking chair to make it stop. 
      There is a loud clap of thunder, scares the shit out of me. I jump.
 I love thunderstorms  but I'm thinking maybe it's not safe to be out here.  But. I wait.  The sky is getting darker, another clap of thunder. Then a huge lightning bolt.  I jump up and run into the garage. 
       Then all of a sudden it starts pouring,  the wind has picked up even more. I  can feel the rain  standing in the garage. The wind is that strong. 
Another bolt of lightning.  Holy cow. 
I go back out and sit on the deck, watch the trees  wave back and forth. Watch as the steam comes off the roof and the deck from the cool rain hitting it. 
Hopefully the storm will bring the temperature down.
    I am from the  East coast so I am not used to the heat. At least not 115 degree  heat. 90 or 95 at best. 
     The chickens try to find cover outside of their  coop. They are huddled together.  Climbing all over each other. It is funny to watch.  
     It starts raining even harder. The wind is picking up.
I am in what they call tornado alley.   I think oh no. Here I am alone with the animals, hopefully this is NOT a tornado. 
 Tornadoes are rare where I am from.  We have had more in recent years. The neighborhood's hit are still recovering  years later.
        Then just like that. The rain stops. Like someone turned the water faucet off. The wind slowly  slows to a light breeze,  the chickens  start venturing out of their  hiding spots, I take a deep breath. The hummingbirds  return for some refreshment. The dogs have quieted down.  I let them out to re- assure them that the storm has past. At least for the moment. The skys are still dark. There might be  more storms a comin' soon. All we can do now is wait.  The temperature doesn't seem to have come down  much.
     What is this I see? The sun trying to come back out?
Yes I do believe it is.  All will be right again soon.
As soon as the scary dark clouds go away.
The sun is trying it's hardest to make that happen.
  Slowly but surely  the clouds are giving way to the sun.
         The storm has passed for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment